Friday, July 1, 2011

Falling in love through reading.

 

 

Today I had some free time, and I decided to finally finish the book The Mind of Christ by Dennis Kinlaw. I completed it! YAY! But as I read chapter 7, there were a few things that I just absolutely loved. The chapter is talking based on Philippians 2:3-4
Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility regard others as better than yourselves. Let each of you look not to your own interests, but to the interests of others.”

And Dr. Kinlaw brought up the point that, in verse 5, many versions use the word “only”…(look not only to your own interests…) and he did some research, asked a few high class scholars and phd’s in greek and bible, and none of them actually found that word ‘only’ in the original text. …have we americanized the bible? Do we not believe that God can cure us from our self-interest?
   We are to not look to our interests at all….but to consider others better than ourselves at all costs. Jesus’ life shows this example. Never once, did He put His own personal interest first…and how often do we live like that? putting out own interests first? before others, before God’s….He used the example of this….
                “Imagine the scene when Jairus asked Jesus to heal his daughter. Suppose Jesus had said, “Yes, I could do that. I could gohome with you and lay my hands on your daughter, and she would get well. But what’s in it for me?”

We as humans…are naturally self focused. and always want things to be about ourselves, and want to know…what is in it for me? This is completely the wrong attitude. Imagine if Jesus had that attitude….terrible…yet we have the Holy Spirit inside of us, alive in us, using us, and how often are we just like that?

”Jesus never strived to get something for himself. He did not come to protect himself; rather, he came to spend himself.”

So today, I fell in with Jesus through reading this book and once again, being reminded of how self centered man is…and how completely humble and outward focused Jesus was. and I love and admire that about Him, and I want that so much more in my own life Father. Only by your power Spirit!

 

Verse(s) for the day:

“Prove me, O LORD, and try me; test my heart and my mind. For your steadfast love is before my eyes and I walk in your faithfulness. I do not sit with men of falsehood nor do I consort with hypocrites. I hate the assembly of evildoers and I will not sit with the wicked. I wash my hands in innocence and go around your altar, O LORD, proclaiming thanksgiving aloud and telling all your wondrous deeds. O LORD I love the haibtation of your house and the place where your glory dwells. Do not sweep my soul away with sinners, nor my life with bloodthirsty men, in whose hands are evil devices, and whose right hands are full of bribes. But as for me, I shall walk in my integrity; redeem me, and be gracious to me. My foot stands on level ground; in the great assembly I will bless the LORD.” 
   Psalm 26:2-12

No comments:

Post a Comment